- Financial Analysis
- Financial Operations
- Internal Controls
- Procurement Services
- Sponsored Programs
- Treasurer's Office
- Debt Management
- Depository Services
- Human Subject Incentives Program
- Merchant Services
- Treasury Services
- Risk Management
- Bank holiday schedule
- Unclaimed property
- Treasurer's Office Dashboards
- Contact Us
Incentives vs. reimbursements - This document outlines the distinctions between an incentive payment and a reimbursement
There are four types of payment options available to pay Human Subject Incentives; cash, check, coupon, and gift card (MasterCard). The type of payment you use for a study must be authorized by the IRB unless your study is exempt. The Principal Investigator is responsible for knowing which incentive types may be provided to subjects. The payment option grid below outlines how each incentive may be distributed, delivery options, and the documentation required.
To get specific instructions for the type of incentive you are requesting, please use the instructions below. They will guide you through the request and documentation for the type of payment you are providing your research participants.
Instructions for processing requests by payment type
- I want MasterCard gift cards mailed directly to subjects.
- I want MasterCard gift cards mailed directly to the subjects and would like these cards to be reloadable in the future.
- I want to receive MasterCard gift cards and distribute them to the subjects myself.
- I want to receive MasterCard gift cards and distribute them to the subjects myself. I also want these cards to be reloadable.
- I want to receive a MasterCard gift card to purchase incentives.
- I want to reload existing cards previously provided to subjects.
- I want to reload existing cards used by the researcher.
- I want checks mailed directly to the subjects.
- I want checks made out to subjects but held at HSIP Office for researcher pick up.
- I want a check addressed and mailed directly to a UM employee on the research team.
- I want a check addressed to a UM employee on the research team available for pick up at HSIP.
*Note that all individuals handling/distributing subject incentives should complete the cash handling training course offered by the Treasury Department (MyLinc course TME103). Click here for more information.