Travel and Expense

Policy: Are there any situations in which business class or first class airfare is permitted?

Federal regulations prohibit the use of Federal Funds for purchase of business or first class air travel for domestic flights.

Policy: Can I be reimbursed for local mileage?

The university generally does not reimburse local in-town mileage (i.e., travel between university buildings on the same campus for meetings), parking/tolls, or commuting costs (i.e., the costs associ

Policy: How is “local mileage” being defined?

Local mileage is considered within/on the campus or within the city of the employee’s primary work location.

Policy: Can travelers be reimbursed for travel expenses before a trip takes place?

The revised policy does allow for reimbursement for expenses in advance of the trip (e.g., for airfare, conference registration/fees, etc.), but in general reimbursements should occur after the trip.

Policy: Does the 45 day policy apply to recurring expenses (e.g. weekly business mileage)?

These types of recurring charges should be expensed on a monthly basis so as to keep as close to the 45 day policy as possible.

Policy: I have consecutive business trips. When do you start counting the 45 calendar days I have to submit an expense report?

The 45 calendar day policy would begin on the date the traveler returns from the consecutive trips (i.e., at the conclusion of all travel, if the trips occurred back to back).  In Concur, the

Policy: Why must a travel and expense report be submitted within 45 calendar days following the last day of a trip or event?

The policy complies with the IRS requirement for an “accountable plan” for employee reimbursements.

Policy: Who is a “senior University official” referenced in the SPG?

Senior officials are deans, department heads or directors, or anyone above them.

Policy: Who is subject to the revised Travel and Hosting Policy SPG?

The policy applies to U-M employees, guests and students incurring travel and hosting expenses.

Syndicate content