- Financial Analysis
- Financial Operations
- Internal Controls
- Procurement Services
- How to buy
- How to pay
- Travel and expense
- Information for suppliers
- MSupplier Portal
- News and Events
- Sponsored Programs
- Treasurer's Office
Supporting diversity, socially responsible procurement and sustainability is highly valued at the University of Michigan. These ideals are central to our academic, research, and athletic excellence.
The goal of the MConnect program is to provide a resource that will assist the University of Michigan community in locating and establishing relationships with enterprises that embody these characteristics.
The MConnect program was developed to serve both those looking to procure goods or services from suppliers supporting these ideals, and to promote suppliers who meet these unique needs, while providing quality goods and services.
- Promote a commitment throughout the University of Michigan to maintain competitive procurement processes which include all segments of the business community and incorporate socially responsible and sustainable procurement practices.
- Diversify the university’s supplier portfolio to secure better prices and higher quality products and services through increased competition.
- Develop and maintain a supplier population that is representative of the racial, ethnic, and gender diversity of the community we serve.
- Reflect our commitment as an economic partner in the communities in which we conduct business.
- Encourage the development of environmentally friendly practices in our supplier community, and promote suppliers whose businesses provide environmentally sustainable products or services.
- Provide University of Michigan staff involved in the acquisition of materials and services adequate tools and training to locate and utilize suppliers who meet their spending requirements while supporting diversity, socially responsible procurement, and sustainability.
Procurement Services, within the published policies and procedures of the University of Michigan, will:
- Increase departmental awareness of the MConnect program.
- Educate suppliers regarding how to conduct business with the University of Michigan.
- Give every reasonable business opportunity to minority-owned, women-owned, small disadvantaged, HUB Zone, veteran-owned and service-disabled-veteran owned businesses.
- Procurement of goods and services from such concerns shall be made to the fullest extent possible, consistent with this policy and the efficient performance of operations.
- Every employee who is delegated the responsibility to directly commit the expenditure of funds for the procurement of goods and services shall encourage meaningful participation of these business enterprises.
Business development overview
The University of Michigan is committed to supplier development because it contributes to the expansion of markets and strengthens the supply base.
Each year the University of Michigan procures just over $1 billion in goods and services. The University of Michigan continues to promote spending with a diverse supplier pool and to promote suppliers who employ environmentally sustainable methodologies in their business operations.
The University of Michigan has active MConnect suppliers that represent a multitude of commodities. The University of Michigan's MConnect program is directed by the Procurement Services Leadership Team and is integrated with university-wide procurement strategies.
Potential suppliers with products and services suitable to the University of Michigan's requirements are encouraged to register using the MConnect vendor registration system.
After registering, your firm is added to a database used by procurement agents when compiling bid lists or providing potential supplier names to departments. Registering as a supplier with the University does not guarantee that you will receive bid requests or prequalify you as a supplier. Some contracts are long-term and may not expire for several years. In addition, there may be many suppliers registered that provide products and services similar to yours. It is not always practical to include all registered suppliers for a particular bid. Should the interest or the need for your company’s products or services present itself, you will be contacted by a procurement agent.
Recognizing that it may be difficult for new suppliers to know how to solicit University of Michigan business, the director of Procurement Services formed the MConnect team to grow and maintain the MConnect program. The team’s responsibilities include educating procurement staff on resources available for finding diverse businesses and providing the University of Michigan community with supplier information that is easily accessible.
The MConnect program strives to link University of Michigan department requirements to a qualified, diverse supplier "pool" in order to increase the University of Michigan's spend year after year with suppliers who meet our spending objectives. Department staff can utilize our active MConnect supplier listing to search for registered suppliers, or search public sites to locate new suppliers to bring into the supplier pool.
MConnect actively promotes opportunities to increase procurement of goods and services from diverse suppliers, suppliers who practice socially responsible procurement and promote environmental sustainability; and, we expect no less of our suppliers. Our active suppliers are encouraged to have reviewed and endorsed our code of conduct for University of Michigan vendors.