P-Card Ownership


Your P-Card
The P-Card should be used only by the person to whom the card is issued (the cardholder), and should not be used to pay for expenses incurred by other U-M faculty/staff.

Note: While some units use the card more broadly, the practice is not supported by P-Card policy. The cardholder is responsible for the accounting of all charges to their P-Card. This means that items "coded as a personal expense" and submitted within Concur will serve as the written consent to deduct from the cardholder's pay. The cardholder, therefore, must collect reimbursement directly from the faculty/staff member who incurred the expense. Units are therefore discouraged from using the P-Card in this manner.

Keeping the card secure
The P-Card should be treated with the same security as a personal credit card:

  • Keep it with you-do not lock it in a desk or file cabinet.
  • Do not write any portion of the P-Card number down or share the number with others.
  • Do not give the P-Card number to a merchant to "keep on file". Sending copies of the front and back of your P-Card to vendors with whom you are doing business is discouraged. This practice opens a greater window of opportunity for fraudulent activity to be placed on the card.

Roles and responsibilities 
P-Card roles and responsibilities
Key responsibilities for individuals as cardholders, expense approvers, and delegates.

P-Card cardholder agreement
View a copy of the required agreement all P-Card holders must sign.


Lost or stolen cards
Call the P-Card financial institution immediately if you discover your P-Card is lost or stolen.  The JP Morgan Chase Customer Service number is 1-800-270-7760. 

Fraudulent charges
It is very important that the cardholder or the reconciler review P-Card charges frequently to ensure there are no fraudulent charges being charged to the P-Card account. If unauthorized charges appear, contact JP Morgan Chase customer service team at 1-800-270-7760 (within the U.S. or Canada) immediately.  Outside the U.S. please call 1-847-488-3748.  The P-Card vendor will close your current account and send a replacement card to your campus address. Contact the P-Card Group at 734-764-8212 or purchcard@umich.edu to advise them as well.

Disputing charges
If the cardholder is unable to reach agreement with the merchant, please contact JP Morgan Chase customer service team at 1-800-270-7760 (within the U.S. or Canada). Outside the U.S. please call 1-847-488-3748.  Mark the transaction as “Fraudulent P-Card Transaction” in the Concur system.  The JP Morgan Chase customer service team must be notified of any disputed item within 60 days of the transaction date of the disputed item.

Card renewal
Your P-Card is valid through the last day of the month in which it is due to expire. Your renewal card will be mailed directly to your university business address approximately one month prior to the card expiration date. If you do not receive your renewal card by the third week of the month, contact the P-Card Group (purchcard@umich.edu).

Leave of absence
If you will be on leave from the university, you should notify the P-Card Group through the P-Card maintenance form of your anticipated dates of absence so that you account can be suspended.

Changes to your P-Card profile
Use the P-Card maintenance form to make changes to your cardholder profile (e.g., changes to your name, business address).

Request changes to your monthly credit limit
Use the P-Card limit change form to request changes to the monthly credit limit. A clear business purpose for an increase must be provided and the form signed by the unit administrator or expense approver. Requests for increases in excess of $10,000 per month require approval from Procurement Services leadership and must include a detailed justification from the P-Card holder. In all instances, temporary (i.e., two months) credit limit increases will be pursued, rather than permanent increases in credit limits.

Transfer to another university unit
If you transfer to another unit within the university you are required to complete the following steps:

  1. Submit a P-Card maintenance form to the P-Card Group to close your current P-Card account.
  2. Change your address with the P-Card Group and the Office of HR Records and Information Services (HRRIS). If your new unit approves you for a P-Card, you must submit a new P-Card application form. If it has been more than a year since you took the P-Card training course, you will be required to complete it.

Card surrender
Your P-Card remains the property of the P-Card financial institution. You are required to surrender the P-Card upon request to your unit administrator. If the card is not surrendered upon request, it will be considered stolen and appropriate action will be initiated by the university. Use of the P-Card or card account after notice of its cancellation may be fraudulent and may cause the P-Card financial institution or the university to take legal action.


Tax exempt status
When a purchase is made using a P-Card, ask the vendor (before payment) if sales taxes can be excluded from the cost of the transaction.

International travel
If you are traveling internationally, consult the International Travel Information and Registry website for important information.

General Guidelines

  • Do not use the P-Card for transactions that are normally available through a University Contracts or an Internal Service Unit.
  • Do not use the P-Card for transactions that will be reimbursed by an external party.
  • Do not use the P-Card for services unless the service is with an incorporated vendor. To determine if the vendor is incorporated, contact the Vendor Maintenance team at vendor.maintenance@umich.edu.
  • Do not use the P-Card for any supplies that total $5,000 or greater.
  • All rules and procedures set forth by Procurement Services and the Office of the Controller must be strictly adhered to. Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in the suspension of the P-Card and/or disciplinary action up to and including termination.