- Responsibilities of the Student
It is the sponsored student's responsibility to:
- Ensure that the University is provided with a valid authorization letter (contract) from their sponsor, prior to the term beginning to avoid late payment fees and financial holds.
- Monitor their student account status regularly. If the sponsor does not cover the total charges, it is the student's responsibility to pay the balance owing. Non-payment by the sponsor, for whatever reason, becomes an immediate liability to and the responsibility of the student.
- Know the duration of the sponsorship as listed in the authorization letter. The University will not notify a student when the sponsorship has expired.
- Supply additional information required by the sponsor, including grades, transcripts, course(s) and other miscellaneous information.
If questions arise concerning conditions of the sponsorship, the student should contact the sponsor, not the University of Michigan.
- Responsibilities of the Sponsor
It is the sponsor's responsibility to provide a letter or contract to The University of Michigan prior to the term start date with the following information:
- Student's name and University ID number
- Description of covered charges, which may include tuition, fees (Registration fee, School & College Government fee, Student Legal Services fee, Michigan Student Assembly fee, course fees), room and board, and international health insurance.
- Any dollar limitations on the covered charges
- Length of sponsorship - beginning and ending dates of period, specific term(s) and/or academic year(s), other.
- Sponsor's billing address
- The Sponsor must provide contact information for questions - including name, telephone number, fax number and email address.
A sponsor should only make payment from the University Invoice, not the student's bill. A Sponsor shall make payment to the University's bank or mail payment to the provided address. Payment is due in full upon receipt of invoice notice. (Credit cards may also be accepted for payments with prior approval from University, subject to limitations). Sponsor will pay all enrollment adjustments on a student's account for the term authorized, when applicable. Sponsor will pay to University, invoice processing fee or late payment fees if any. If sponsored student is an employee of the sponsor and is terminated during the term, the sponsor will pay as agreed and invoiced.
- Responsibilities of the University of Michigan
The University's responsibilities for sponsored students are:
- Student Financial Services (SFS) will review authorization letters (contracts) upon receipt and will certify eligible students. When presented prior to deadlines, this process will apply a third party credit for the covered expenses and avoid student account late payment fees.
- SFS will invoice the sponsor for the authorized charges. The invoice will state the student's name and the total allowable charges.
- Any refund resulting from an adjustment to the student's account after sponsor payment will be returned to the sponsor.
- SFS will charge back to student's account any charges resulting from non-payment of sponsored charges by the sponsor.
- SFS will attempt to comply with a sponsor's particular invoice requirements, but this is not guaranteed and is based upon system limitations.