The University of Michigan accepts payments on student charges in the form of cash, check, or epayment. The U of M does not accept credit cards. Payments are accepted through the following methods:
On-Line ePayments may be made 24 hours a day, seven days a week including holidays! An ePayment is processed as an ACH transaction from a savings or checking account drawn on a US bank. ePayments are posted in real time. As soon as the ePayment process has completed and a confirmation number has been received by the payer, the ePayment is posted to the student account. (However, please note that in the case of system outages ePayments will be by the evening of the next business day.) If there is a financial hold on the student account, the hold will be released if the payment satisfies the amount of the hold.
Please note: On-line/ePayments MAY NOT be made using credit card checks, from a home equity line of credit account, investment account, or a money market account.
Student Financial Services on the Ann Arbor campus accepts cash and check (including money order and traveler's check) payments at the Teller Services.
All checks should be made payable to: University of Michigan.
Check payments may be mailed to the Student Financial Services payments address.
Note: To ensure timely and accurate posting of the payment, please include the student's full name and the student's UMID number on the front of the check.
Express Overnight Payments
Payments sent through an overnight service such as UPS, DHL or Federal Express must be sent to the Student Financial Services address on the U-M Ann Arbor campus.
The University of Michigan has partnered with Flywire (formerly peerTransfer) to offer an innovative and streamlined way to make payment on your student account by international wire transfer. It's fast, simple and cost effective from most all foreign countries.
- Saves money - using Flywire may save you money on bank fees and exchange rates vs. traditional bank wires. Flywire maintains a Best Price Guarantee to ensure you receive a great exchange rate.
- Simple - no more back-and-forth with the school and the bank trying to get all the information you need to make a wire payment
- Quick - no more waiting and wondering if your payment has posted to your account. Flywire will keep you and the U-M informed along the way.
- How it works
A late payment fee will be assessed and a financial hold will be established if payment is received after the due date or if the payment received is less than the amount due.
- A late payment fee of $30.00 will be assessed on past due balances of $60.00 or more.
- A financial hold will prevent you from registering, and/or from receiving an official transcript or diploma.
Most financial holds may be released by Teller Services once the full amount has been paid and applied to the student's account. For assistance with payment options, visit the student payments section of this website.