- Financial Analysis
- Financial Operations
- Internal Controls
- Procurement Services
- Sponsored Programs
- Treasurer's Office
Using the Mpathways System:The Departmental Space Inventory Survey is to be completed using the M-Pathways system. Please review the data for your organization to ensure the system contains the most up-to-date and complete information. Your department is ultimately responsible for the accuracy of its data. Report all changes as they appear during the survey period, except room use function codes. These codes and their corresponding percentages must reflect averages over the entire fiscal year ending June 30th.
For how-to's, and field descriptions on how to update your data within the Space Management module, please reference the Space Survey User – Training and Resources
Review items for Survey:
Space Inventory Report: A printout of your survey is available using the M-Pathways system. Select the "Reporting Tools" menu item then choose "SM Reports", then select "Space Inventory".
Floor Plans: Floor plans are available by sending an email request to the AEC Office (email@example.com) for Ann Arbor Campus floor plans, Jeri Dentel (firstname.lastname@example.org) for Hospital Space floor plans.
Square Footage Changes: In most cases square footage is electronically calculated from official floor plan drawings. Square footage changes are made only if they are significant and have been field verified by the AEC Office.
Department ID: The Space Management system only allows one department to be the controlling organization for a room. Other occupying departments can be indicated on the Room Utilization (Optional) tab on the Survey/ORA/Utilization/Feature page.
Room Type Codes: Defines what the room's physical characteristics are during the February survey period. Familiarize yourself with the definitions. Please note that the non-assignable codes (010 Custodial, 020 Circulation, 030 Mechanical, and 040 Public Restroom) are not for departmental use.
- Room Sub-Type Codes: Some room type codes require a room sub-type code. Example: Room type code 210 Class Laboratory requires a room sub-type code for scheduling purposes.
- Some U-M departments require that a room sub-type code be entered for all room types.
Station Counts: Defined as a count of seats or work stations. These do not have to be occupied.
Station Counts are required for:
- 110 Classrooms
- 210, 220, 250 Laboratories
- 310 Offices
- 350 Conference Rooms
- 410 Study Rooms
- 430 Open Stack Reading Rooms
- 610 Assembly
- 680 Meeting Rooms
Must be zero for:
- 050 Inactive Area
- 060 Alteration/Conversion Area
- 070 Unfinished Area
Survey Contact: The survey contact is the person who has the most knowledge regarding survey information.
Room Use Function Codes: Define the activity being conducted in a room averaged over the fiscal year ending June 30th.
- Each room must have at least one room function code, with a maximum of 5 function codes.
- Percentages must be greater than or equal to 5% and total 100%. Instructional room types 110, 210, 220 must include at least 50% of room use function 0102 Instruction/Departmental Research.
- Research/Laboratory room type 250 must include at least 50% of room use function 0202 Organized Research and/or 0102 Instruction/Departmental Research.
Organized Research Activity page (ORA):The ORA page must be completed when ever a percent of the room use function code organized research (0202) is included, and the room type is office (310) or research laboratory (250).
- You will need to verify all Project Grant numbers by clicking the 'ORA Verify Complete' check box on the ORA page. Call the Cost Reimbursement Office at 734-764-6243 if you have any questions regarding the validity of any Project Grant number.
Organized Research Activity (ORA) Contact: The Organized Research Activity contact is the person who has the most knowledge regarding ORA information.
Organized Research Activity page Instructions:
You will be providing organized research activity data using the ORA page. This page must be filled out when the following conditions are met:
Room use function 0202 Organized Research is used in combination with either
- Room type 250 Research/Nonclass Laboratory
- Room type 310 Office
Project Grants that cause problems on the organized research activity page: The Project Grant types listed below do not support room function 0202 Organized Research. They are grouped by the room function to which they relate. Project Grants supporting room function 0102 Instruction/Departmental Research:
- Research Training Grants: These Project Grants have a sub class of 16000.
- Scholarship Project Grant: These Project Grants have sub class of 88100 or 88200.
- Research Incentive and Faculty Start-up Project Grants
- Inteflex Project Grants
- CRLT Faculty Development Project Grants
Project Grants supporting room function 0302 Other Sponsored Activities:
- Clinical Trials of drugs, instruments, etc. They are often incorrectly classified as 0202 Organized Research.
- 0202 Organized Research vs. 0302 Other Sponsored Activities. These room functions are easily confused. Please read their definitions carefully and call if you need assistance.
Project Grants unacceptable as support for 0202 Organized Research:
- Internal Service Project Grants. Instead record at least one organized research Project Grant billed during the survey year.
- Current Project Grants. These are Project Grant combinations that support the general operations of your organization.
- Departmental Equipment Project Grants.
2013 Survey Deadline: March 22, 2013
Questions about the Survey?
If you have any space related questions or survey questions email Space@umich.edu
Mary Ellen Lyon, Business Operations Manager, email@example.com (734) 647-3351
Deborah DeLorenzo, Administrative Project Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org (734) 764-5600
Kim Gallagher, Office Assistant Intermediate, email@example.com (734) 763-1196
Contact the UMH Facilities Projects Office regarding Hospital Space: Jeri Dentel, Drafter Intermediate, firstname.lastname@example.org (734) 936-2554